Published on Friday, 03 April 2015 07:27
Written by Super User
For many women suffering the effects of overly large breasts a breast reduction can offer relief, a new shape and reinvigorated confidence. Physical problems such as back & neck pain and bad posture can also be improved through such a procedure.
The operation involves making small incisions under your breasts to remove excess skin and tissue. Your surgeon will then re-shape and re-position your breasts to lift and firm them. It may also be necessary to re-position your nipples to compliment your new breast shape and create a natural result. The operation will be performed under a general anaesthetic and you will usually need to stay in hospital for one night. Book your breast reduction consultation
Length of Surgery:
3 - 3.5 hours.
General anesthetic. Can be a day case or overnight, but the procedure is always performed in a hospital operating theatre.
Types of Scars to expect:
Vertical or T-shaped scar.
What to expect immediately after the operation:
Drains, pain and discomfort, supportive bra.
Risks / Complications:
Hematoma < 1%, bruising and swelling, altered/loss of sensation in nipples, partial or complete loss of nipple circulation, wound breakdown at T-junction.
- 2 weeks off work.
- Exercise/walk/ lower torso 4-6 weeks with support
- Avoid travelling long distances.
- Massage /Scar Management as soon as the wound healed 10-14 days.
- Wound check and change of dressing after 1 week.
- After 2 weeks, no dressing required in most of cases - just covers with Micropore tape.
- Support shaped bra without underwiring for 3 months.
- Scars will be raised, lumpy, itchy, painful and red to begin with.
Full recovery after 3 months.
- Use recommended painkillers as required.
- After a few days any gauze dressings can be removed and you may need to wear a surgical bra. It should be worn as directed by the surgeon.
- Physical contact should be avoided for the first week or so as your breasts will be feeling very sensitive.
- Your surgeon will advise when to begin exercising and normal activities.
- Contact your surgeon immediately if you notice any signs of infection or if you experience bleeding or a sudden increase in pain.
- To improve the healing of scars, patients should consider: Massage; moisturizing cream such as E45/Nivea; micropore tape across healed area; silicon gel or sheet (we recommend Kelocote Gel); supportive bra; no underwire bra for 3 months and healed area must be taped if underwire bra is to be worn for further 2 months
The operation is performed under a general anesthetic and usually takes about 2 to 3 hours. Your surgeon will make a cut on the line of the areola (the dark area around the nipple) and a vertical cut underneath your areola. They will remove some of the breast tissue, and the excess fat and skin. Your surgeon will reshape your breast and lift your nipple so it is in a higher position.
A breast reduction is a cosmetic operation to make your breasts smaller. It is only suitable for certain women. You should consider the options carefully and have realistic expectations about the results.
Achieve an Ultimate New Look
Book An Appointment Now
If you are interested in a particular treatment, please contact us or to find out more about our clinic, please click here.